Tuesday 31 May 2011

Watering your garden!


After hearing about the Smart garden watering website I decided to log on and have a look. While I was exploring the site it told me a thing or two about water use in the garden. I calculated how much water my garden would actually need and this is what it suggested. So my garden at the moment consists of a cool season grass called perennial rye grass, we have a spray system installed, and the conditions are ; sandy soil, on a flat slope, full plant coverage and its positioned in full sun.

After taking in all those considerations the website http://www2.smartgardenwatering.org.au suggested:
I water the lawn each time for 35 minutes and during:
January – water once every 6 days
February – water once a week
March – water every two weeks
April –October: no water required
November – water only once
December – water once every two weeks

Obviously the results above are estimations as the amount of water you apply to your garden depends on what type of weather conditions you have had or what season you’re coming into. This year has been a terrible year (as you know) with above average rainfall which would certainly affect how much water you would use on your garden.

Do I think the website is useful? I found it difficult to manouvre around this site but I believe it could be a handy tool if you know how to use it correctly. I realize that it’s essential to have the right measurements and accurate information to get the most out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment